1051 GWR has its home in the former Kelvinside Station, designed by leading Glasgow architect Sir J J Burnet, whose memorable works also include the Clydeport Building on Robertson Street, the Glasgow Savings Bank on Ingram Street and the once popular, but now demolished Alhambra Theatre, Glasgow. Burnet was commissioned to build the station, which opened in 1897 as part of the Glasgow Central Railway network with the line leading from the city centre to Maryhill. Closed during both World Wars, the station was deemed too remote and closed for the final time in 1942.
The station building, designed in the Beaux Art style enjoyed mixed fortunes over the years, and a fire in 1995 left the category B listed building little more than a shell. Several resurrections later now see the beautiful building re-opened as the 1051 GWR bar and kitchen with a railway themed feel, spacious interior and catering a whole lot better than the infamous railway sandwich.
1051 GWR is currently opened on the ground level of the building. However, plans are in place to refurbish all floors and provide alfresco dining on the attractive outside rooftop patio. Watch this space for refurbishment updates!
Can you spot the old Caledonian Railway monogram, “CR” carved on the north face the building?